Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Friday, August 5, 2011

Fifth Anniversary

Today is my fifth wedding anniversary with my husband. I feel like this number is somewhat small and an unfair reflection of what we've been through together. Why?

Because we've been together for almost half our lives.

Oh. Maybe I shouldn't put it that way. Almost makes me feel old.

In any case, we started dating when we were 16. This November, we will have been together 14 years. On and off, that is. We aren't some super couple that have lasted consistently. Oh, no. Although I did tell him that I wanted to marry him when I was 18. Luckily we were not that foolish to tie the knot back then. Young marriages may work for some couples. We would have killed each other by now. Or maybe my family would have killed him. Either way. My persistence paid off though, and after almost nine years of dating, we got married.

Through those years we have survived several break ups, two engagements, his deployment to Kuwait, a wedding, two bachelor's degrees, one master's degree, deaths in the family, purchasing a home, new jobs, a new baby, and a job loss. Sometimes I want to spend every waking moment with him. Sometimes I want to choke the life out of him. I don't know why in wedding vows they don't just get right to the point and express it that way. For better or for worse is just so bland.

In any case, life with a baby, as well as limited funds, has shrunk down our celebration just a bit. No jetting off to some tropical island for a week or anything. Instead, we will be grilling burgers, having some adult beverages, and having a bonfire in our backyard. I wouldn't have it any other way. Who wouldn't want to spend a special day with these two?

No comments: